Dental fillings play a pivotal role in the realm of dental care, addressing cavities and repairing cracked or broken teeth. They restore the tooth’s function and prevent further decay.
But what are the different types of dental fillings? What can one expect from the procedure? And how should you care for them post-treatment?
Here’s a comprehensive guide to answer these questions.
1. Types of Dental Fillings
- Composite Fillings: Made of resin and plastic, they can be color-matched to your natural teeth, making them a popular choice for front teeth.
- Gold Fillings: Gold inlays are made in a laboratory and cemented into place. They’re highly durable and compatible with gum tissues.
- Ceramic Fillings: Often made of porcelain, these are resistant to staining compared to composite fillings and can also match your natural tooth color.
2. The Filling Procedure
- Examination: Your dentist will use a probe and X-rays to identify cavities.
- Anesthesia: Before the procedure begins, local anesthesia is applied to numb the affected area.
- Removal of Decay: The dentist will remove the decayed portion using a drill or laser.
- Application of Filling: The selected filling material is then applied to the cavity and shaped accordingly.
- Polishing: Once set, the dentist polishes the tooth to ensure a smooth finish.
3. Post-treatment Care
- Sensitivity: It’s normal to experience some sensitivity after the procedure. This typically subsides within a week.
- Regular Check-ups: Regular dental check-ups ensure that your fillings remain intact and your teeth are in good health.
- Oral Hygiene: Brush twice daily, floss regularly, and rinse with mouthwash to prevent further cavities.
- Dietary Adjustments: Avoid chewing hard or extremely cold foods with your newly filled tooth to prevent discomfort or damage.
Dental fillings are a trusted solution to combat cavities and restore dental health. Being informed about the available options, the procedure, and the post-treatment care ensures that you can make informed decisions regarding your dental well-being. At Litchfield, we’re dedicated to providing top-notch dental solutions tailored to your needs.